Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Pissing

It’s been a long exhausting week at the bar. I’ve really been giving it my all and after two long meetings this week, I have decided that I should keep my ears open to someone backing me on my own project. I had talked to the owners of the bar in February about some sort of sweat equity or possibility of ownership if we expanded. We had a long talk this week where I saw that they will probably never give up any ownership of the bar and that I really don’t think I want to be in business with them anyhow.

They didn’t specifically say this, I just saw that they can’t get their shit together to make it happen and more than anything, they don’t want it to happen. They are always starting a project without any follow through, which has been where I really shine. I get the shit done that they started. But they want to open a 2.1 million dollar steakhouse, which I think is fucking ridiculous. Steak has very low markup and a short life. I think it would be better to sell noodle bowls.

Anyhow, I had a bit of an offer a couple of weeks ago from a guy loooking to start a swanky martini bar, he asked me if I would be interested in a sweat equity situation, which is all I’ve got for equity. Then another regular asked me on Saturday if I have ever thought about opening my own bar and I said, “Funny you should ask, because I’ve been thinking a lot about it.” He is an investment banker and is the middle of a big project but said he would be very interested in backing me, but it wouldn’t be for a year or so. So I feel like I am getting some things on the platter, I have started putting together a business plan so when something more concrete starts to happen -- I’m ready. I’ve got a good idea that would be good in this town and is a great concept that could expand if it proved to be as successful as I hope. The swanky martini bar scares me, it might be too hip for Bend. There are not enough young hipsters in this town to pull it off. The bar I work at now looks really swanky, but we still do a lot of food and have PBR on tap! I just don’t have a good feeling about it, but I will see how set he is on the idea and how he sees a sweat equity partnership working.

Otherwise, life at the bar this week really wasn’t all that much different than the week before. We were hoping to fire the dimwit on Tuesday, but the fill-in girl (she works at our other restaurant) gave her notice and is moving back to Maine. So, that means I have to keep the dimwit. It’s hard to have her around, because I know her time is so limited. She is such a fuckup, I feel like every Saturday night we sit in the office and go over the million things that we went over the week before. Anyhow, I hired a new girl who I am very excited about. She is a super hard worker, very smart, and very wise in the industry. She is going to do really well.

I still need one more server, but I have a promising lead since the bar down the street got bought out and it put a lot of servers out of work. I recently saw the owner of that bar and asked her if any of her good servers were out of work and she is sending me one of her best girls. I meet her tomorrow, so I hope I am impressed.

Otherwise, the highlight of the week was on Friday night. I was sitting with my friend confiding in her that I needed to make some decisions about how much of me I was going to put into the bar, because if I started a new bar I would want my cocktail list and a lot of my ideas that I’ve implemented where I work now. I could feel that I was about to get a migraine headache, so I wasn’t in the best mind set when I looked out the window and saw that some drunk was about to piss on the building. I unlocked the door, ran over to him and asked him if he was about to urinate. He didn’t seem phased, so I grabbed him by his hoodie, told him to put his little dick away, and to stop pissing on the fucking building. He asked me why I was enraged at him, simply put it is not o.k. to piss on buildings. If you want to start eating puppy chow then we can talk but otherwise such rights are solely for animals on four legs and red penises.

I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a memeber.

- Groucho Marx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I bet a new puppy would cheer you up.

Why does your blog have that weird code between every paragraph???

Anonymous said...

That is f-ing hilarious, one of them multitude of reasons why you are my hero, Norma E! -Mo